There is no bigger name in the GPS industry than Garmin. If you are looking for a capable VFR GPS Navigator at a reasonable price, why not get a Garmin? The Garmin GPS-150 GPS Navigator combines a very readable display, a comprehensive Jeppesen database, and some excellent aviation-specific innovations. For example, if your aircraft's electrical system should fail, the GPS-150 has an internal rechargable battery that will power the unit for up to 4 hours. With this battery system, your GPS-150 keeps working, informs you about the 9 closest airports, and guides you to a safe landing! The GPS-150 has many great features, including:
- Vacuum fluorescent dot matrix display - This display is designed to provide easy viewing, even in direct sunlight. It shows three lines of information at once. The display may also be configured to show an electronic CDI.
- Multitrac8 GPS Receiver - This allows the GPS-150 to track and use up to 8 satellites at once for fast, accurate positioning. This same receiver was used in Garmin's IFR models, so you know it is accurate and reliable.
- Pilot-focused operations - The Trip Planning mode allows the pilot to view distance and time for any route. Fuel Planning mode will display the fuel requirements for this route. The GPS-150 may also be interfaced with a fuel flow sensor for precise measurements and fuel calculations.
- Peace of mind - An Emergency Search will describe and guide you to the 9 nearest airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections, or user waypoints.
- Comprehensive Jeppesen database - The database includes airports, VORs, NDBs, FSSs, intersections, COMM frequencies, runway information, minimum safe altitude, special use airspace (SUA) information, and more. This database is located in a front-loading datacard, which makes it much easier to keep up-to-date.
- Ease of use - The GPS-150 provides simple, intuitive navigation guidance and data. A Direct-To keystroke lets you instantly set course to any waypoint you select. A full compliment of E6-B calculations, including winds aloft, true airspeed, and density altitude, are readily available. The pilot may store 1,000 user waypoints and 20 reversible flight plans of up to 31 waypoints each. There is also space to store user comments on up to 250 waypoints.
- Compatibility - The GPS-150 interfaces with an existing Autopilot, CDI, HSI, and other equipment. Even though this GPS does not have an internal Moving Map, it may be used to provide position information to an external Moving Map.