When you want to upgrade your radios, one of the common barriers is the cost and hassle of installation. Wouldn't it be great to just slide a replacement right into the existing rack? If you have thought this, and you have a KX-170B or KX-175B installed, you should know about the MAC-1700 VTX. The MAC-1700 VTX is an upgraded version of the MAC-1700. The "VTX" version adds the following features:
- MACVoice - A synthesized voice reads the active / standby frequencies to you, on either the COMM or NAV sides. The voice is also used to call out remaining time on the countdown timer.
- Elapsed time / total time timer - The radio stores the elapsed time for last 8 flights. Also, it can be programmed to offer a reminder every 30 minutes or 1 hour, which can be helpful when remembering to change fuel tanks.
- Expanded frequency storage memory - Instead of storing 20 frequencies (10 COMM, 10 NAV), the VTX has 6 memory banks of 20 frequencies each.
- 760 COMM channels - The regular MAC-1700 has 720 COMM channels.
The rest of your avionics will neither know nor care that your KX-170B or KX-175B has been upgraded, but you will definitely notice the convenience. The "regular" MAC-1700 features are still present:
- Digital tuning
- Active / standby frequency display
- Push button frequency flip-flop
- Memory channels (10 each for the NAV and COMM sides)
- 200 NAV channels
- 7 watts minimum power
These are the most common indicators used in MAC-1700 VTX installations (the same as with a KX-170B installation):
- For VOR/LOC installations:
- KI-201C VOR/LOC Indicator
- KI-208 VOR/LOC Indicator
- KI-208A GPS/VOR/LOC Indicator For VOR/LOC/Glideslope installations:
- KI-214 VOR/LOC/Glideslope Indicator & internal Glideslope Receiver
- KI-209 VOR/LOC/Glideslope Indicator & KN-75 Glideslope Receiver
- KI-209A GPS/VOR/LOC/Glideslope Indicator & KN-75 Glideslope Receiver
If they are not already installed with your KX-170B / KX-175B, you may also be interested in a Glideslope Receiver or Indicator to use with this MAC-1700 VTX. Your replaced KX-170B or KX-175B may still have some value. Please contact us with the model, condition, and operation of your radio for the latest core credit.