- Discontinued Products
- GPS-155 IFR-Approach GPS Navigator
|Part Number:||P/N: 011-00104-00|
|Condition:||Serviceable (Certified Used)|
|Included:||90 Day Warranty|
|Included:||GPS Antenna, Rack, Connector, Existing Database available at extra cost if needed|
|Comments:||This is a good GPS, but we can no longer recommend it due to a lack of factory support. Please see the GPS-155XL instead.|
|Comments:||We do not think anyone is performing a new GPS-155 installation. As a result, we have not included the cost of the GPS antenna, mounting rack, connectors, or database in this price.|
|Comments:||If you are performing a new GPS-155 installation (not recommended), please choose "Yes" in response to the "Need Installation Hardware" question.|
The GPS-155 is Garmin's original IFR GPS, and it was a solid choice at the time. However. we do not recommend the GPS-155 any longer due to a lack of factory support.
The GPS-155 is capable of IFR operation for both en route and approach navigation, including published non-precision approaches, SIDs, and STARs from the database. The only thing that the GPS-155 lacks is a moving map display. However, if you either do not want a moving map, or will use the output from the GPS-155 to feed position information to separate map, the GPS-155 represents a real savings over the GPS-155XL.
The IFR GPS-155 has an internal rechargeable battery that will power the unit for up to 90 minutes. If your aircraft's electrical system should fail, your GPS-155 keeps working, informs you about the 9 closest airports, and guides you to a safe landing!
The Garmin GPS-155 features:
- Vacuum fluorescent dot matrix display - This display is designed to provide easy viewing, even in direct sunlight. It shows three lines of information at once. The display may also be configured to show an electronic CDI.
- Multitrac8 GPS Receiver - This allows the GPS-155 to track and use up to 8 satellites at once for fast, accurate positioning and once-per-second position updates.
- Ease of use - The GPS-155 is designed to minimize keystrokes in operation, and operate with a clear, consistent user interface. This GPS provides very sophisticated navigation features, but common functions are readily available. For example, the Direct-To key lets you instantly set course to any waypoint you select.
- Pilot-focused design - The GPS-155 is packed with features designed to make a pilot's job easier. The planning function helps determine trip length, fuel requirements, and vertical navigation (VNAV) profiles. The computer performs true airspeed, density altitude, winds aloft, and sunrise /sunset calculations. The pilot may store up to 20 reversible flight plans of 30 legs each. Up to 1000 pilot defined waypoints may be added to the database, and there is a comments field for up to 250 of these waypoints. There are 9 user-definable checklists of up to 30 items each. Finally, alarms remind the pilot of arrival, proximity, countdown timers, and SUA penetration in 10 minutes, 2NM, and inside SUA.
- Peace of mind - An Nearest function quickly displays the 9 nearest airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections, and user-defined waypoints. Even better, the pilot may set airport search criteria based on runway length. The GPS-155 will also provide you with the 2 nearest FSS and frequencies, based on your current position.
- Datacard database - The Jeppesen database includes information for airports, VORs, NDBs, intersections, COMM frequencies, runways, FSS, MSA, SUA, approaches, and SIDs/STARs. The database card is front loading, which makes it much easier to keep the data up-to-date.
- Compatibility - The Garmin GPS-155 may be interfaced with a Moving Map, HSI, CDI, Autopilot, Blind Encoder, Fuel Sensor, and Fuel/Air Data Computer. A nice feature is the ability to select a course to or from a waypoint via an external mechanical and EFIS HSI. Even though this GPS does not have an internal Moving Map, it may be used to provide position information to an external Moving Map.
You may also be interested in an Encoder, Indicator, or Moving Map / MFD to use with this GPS-155.