|There is currently a 2-4 week lead time to get a GX-65 certified and ready to ship.|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-800|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-801|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-802|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-803|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-804|
|Part Number:||P/N: 430-6050-805|
|Condition:||Serviceable (Certified Used)|
|Included:||90 Day Warranty|
|Included:||GPS Antenna, Rack, Connector, Existing Database available at extra cost if needed|
|Comments:||The factory has run out of replacement displays and we have a limited supply of spare parts. As a result, we no longer recommend this radio for new installations.|
|Comments:||Some of our GX-65 sales are for customers who are replacing another GX-65. These customers do not need the GPS antenna, mounting rack, or connectors, and we do not want to charge them for items they do not need.|
|Comments:||If you need these items for a new installation, please choose "Yes" in response to the "Need Installation Hardware" question.|
|Comments:||The GX-series database will be discontinued on December 3, 2020. It will not be possible to update the database after this date.|
The II Morrow / Garmin AT Apollo GX-65 offers all the capability of the GX-55 IFR En Route certified GPS, but it also adds a very sophisticated COMM transceiver. However, please note that the GX-65 is not a slide-in replacement for the Apollo Lorans and Flybuddy GPS systems. (The COMM functions could not be added while still using that legacy connector.)
The COMM section in the GX-65 is a 760 channel radio with active / standby flip-flop. It is possible to listen to the standby frequency while the radio monitors the active frequency for any activity. This is almost like having two separate radios, because you can gather additional information on another frequency while making sure you are not missing a transmission.
The COMM transceiver in the GX-65 offers a very respectable 8 watts minimum output (more than a KX-170B, for example). Many GPS/COMM radios are less powerful than a dedicated COMM or the COMM section of a NAV/COMM, but that is not the case with the GX-65.
The GX-65 operates with 14/28 V input. The COMM section of a GPS/COMM often restricts the whole radio to 14 V operation (or requires the use of a voltage converter). The GX-65 avoids the cost, heat, weight, complexity, and potential failure point of a voltage converter in a 28 V aircraft.
Additional COMM features include:
- Transmit indication
- Stuck microphone timeout (35 seconds)
- National Weather Service channels
- Internal two-place voice activated intercom
- Frequency memory - from GPS database, last 10 used, user storage, weather, and emergency (121.50 MHz)
- Two microphone inputs
- 12 watt audio amplifier for cabin speaker
Regarding its GPS features, the Apollo GX-65 is an IFR En Route (but not IFR Approach) certified GPS Receiver loaded with features, including a high-definition moving map display on a large sunlight viewable screen. The aircraft's position relative to airports, runways, VORs, NDBs, intersections, and special use airspace can be easily seen on the moving map. Operation is streamlined and pilot workload reduced through the use of Smart Keys and an intuitive interface. Airspace and navaids can be added or deleted from the map with a single press of the button.
The Apollo GX-65 features:
- Bright, clear electroluminescent display - This display measures 160 pixels wide by 80 pixels high, and its brightness is controlled automatically to match lighting conditions. This display can be set up to show a moving map, navigation information, and a graphical CDI.
- Moving map graphics - The map shows your aircraft's position relative to surrounding database items. This map may be configured to use the full screen, or only part of it. In Full-screen mode, most of the display will show the map, but the corners are used to show the TO waypoint, bearing, distance, and map scale. In Split-screen mode, the display will also show ground speed, track, and cross track error. The map may be oriented with track up, desired track up, or magnetic north up. Map objects may be selected for information or "Direct To" navigation.
- Ease of use - The GX-65 uses Smart Keys to put the most commonly used features for a given operation right in front of the pilot. The Smart Key buttons are labeled right on the display. This makes it easy to access the GX-65's power, without crowding the faceplate with buttons. Simple navigation is available right away with the "Direct To" function. There is built-in simulation software for learning the rest of the features when you are safely on the ground, and can devote your full attention to training.
- Pilot-focused design - It is clear that this GPS was designed by pilots. A full complement of E-6B calculations are available. The GX-65 can receive altitude from encoder, and it knows the minimum safe altitude and enroute safe altitude for your flight. The navigation pages are user definable and have auto sequencing. The pilot may store up to 30 flight plans of 20 legs each. Up to 2000 pilot defined waypoints may be added to the database. Automatic magnetic variation is based on your current position. The navigation computer has the ability to set up a parallel track offset. This unit also has a countdown timer.
- Peace of mind - An Emergency Search function quickly displays the 20 nearest airports (other waypoint types are available as well). Even better, the pilot may set search criteria based on runway length, surface, and lighting. With search criteria, time isn't spent deciding about airports that can't be used. The GX-65 may also perform this search around any waypoint. This is useful to know what other airports are available near your destination.
- Datacard database - The GX-65 database stores an impressive amount of information, including airports, navaids, intersections, and airspace. These database cards are front loading, which makes it much easier to keep the data up-to-date.
- Compatibility - The Apollo GX-65 may be interfaced with an HSI, CDI, autopilot, encoder, fuel sensor, and external moving maps. One RS-232 input and output is provided.